Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Forty Two Years and Counting

Today marks the 42nd anniversary of Sandy and me. It also marks the 3rd anniversary of my son Peter and his wife Jennifer. If anyone wants to know the single most important factor accounting for 42 years of marriage-besides the obvious things like love, loyalty, shared values, children, etc-I would say it's the willingness to compromise and be flexible. Without that, in spite of the other stuff, a marriage is doomed. Obviously failures in the 'other stuff' can also doom a marriage-but not as quickly as one's inability to bend and compromise. So there you have it. My words of wisdom for the day. Tomorrow I'll be back to my normal self, ranting about something or other!

2 comments:

gael lynch said...

Congrats, Georgie! You got that right: compromise=just say YES and let that girl do her thing!! 42 years. Now that's something to crow about!!
All the best!

Tim said...

Compromise and flexibility! Thanks for the advice George. Congratulations on 42 years! Enjoy the day.