Friday, September 18, 2009

Hello, Charter? Is This Customer Service?

Are you one of the unlucky few who are forced to use Charter Communications for cable/phone/internet? Yeah, yeah. I know. There's always ATT DSL or Direct TV or some other phone but I don't like DSL (too slow), and I don't have access to a satellite in my yard, so I'm left with Charter. Here's a short history of my adventure with Charter Customer Service:
1. August 1st-date of 2 year lock-in period.
2. Mid August-bill arrives NOT reflecting lock-in rate.
3. Next day-Trip to local Charter office. Bill is adjusted. Told to pay X amount.
4. Mid September-bill arrives NOT reflecting lock-in rate.
5. Next day trip to local Charter office. Lady who I spoke with before doesn't understand what happened. Sits me down with her boss to go over whole thing.
6. Two hours later-boss hasn't a clue what's going on but insists bill is correct!!! Un-freaking-believable! After a few well chosen words, I return home.
7. Two days later call Customer Service. Get some young gal in the Phillipines (honest). She sees almost immediately what happened and makes appropriate adjustments.

So there you have it. Maybe outsourcing customer service isn't such a bad idea. OK, so I had to ask her to repeat herself several times due to a very heavy accent but it was worth it. Word of advice, American companies. It's commendable that you're trying to keep jobs in the US, but the other side of this is the people you hire have to have brains. Just a thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Switch to ATT U-verse ... NOW (if available at your address)! I have had this service for 3 or 4 months now. OMG ... it is very good! I have TV, phone and internet. My internet speed is excellent, phone is flat rate and loaded with features and TV is "crazy-good"! Multi-room DVR, a ridiculous amount of channels (especially HD), ability to record 4 shows at one time, etc. Best of all, customer service is (so far) terrific and I call a number that puts me in touch with AT&T i New London, CT ... yes ... Connecticut! Crazy, isn't it?

George Stockwell said...

Unfortunately, not available where I live!