Friday, May 1, 2009

A Welcome Change-No Wait

I had an upper endoscopy today. It was my second one in as many years. This time they were investigating the minor thickening of my esophagus as it enters the stomach. With the alarming rise of esophageal cancer, my doctor urged me to have this done just as a precaution. As it happens, my esophagus is fine. However, he did find two small ulcers. Now I have to figure out who caused them. In the meantime I guess there's some medicine I can take to fix them. But the reason I'm posting this blog isn't necessarily to report this because when it comes right down to it, not many people give a hoot about my esophagus. The reason I found the whole experience note worthy is because, unlike previous experiences, I had no wait time. Usually, you start out by waiting in the waiting room. Then you go to another little room where you answer some questions, get an IV started and wait some more. Then they wheel you into the room where it's actually done...and wait some more. Not today. In one room, out, into the next, out, on the table and the next thing I knew the nurse was waking me. That's the way I like things to go. Zip, zip and out. I have to have this thing done again in three months. I hope it goes just as quickly.

2 comments:

gael lynch said...

Okay, I started thinking...T.M.I.!!! I don't wanna know this stuff about my friend, Georgie. But then you had me wondering about those ulcers. I'll bet I can figure out the WHO part of it!!! Wanna start a contest?! ;)

George Stockwell said...

Not to worry. Actually no mystery. My doc says it's the aspirin a day I've been taking. Some people just can tolerate it. So now I stick with the aspirin for it's preventive benefits but take an antacid. Should clear things up. How have you been? Stress city??