Wednesday, March 2, 2016

I'm now all in with the digital age...

For some time now I've embraced technology.  I was my school's web master back in my teaching days and I was also their tech consultant.  I have a desktop computer, a laptop, an iPad, an iPod and an iPhone so I'm not afraid to try new gadgets.  The one area however where I've resisted is in books.  In fact some time ago I wrote right here in this blog spot that I would never succumb to an e-reader and then I went on to list the reasons why.   But frankly that was a little hypocritical because I have read books on my wife's Kindle and I have to say I enjoyed it.

Well this past birthday the family bought me a Kindle.  It's similar to the original Kindle that my wife has except the screen is back-lit which is a big improvement.

I still like books.  I have about 6 stacked up to read but my last experience convinced me it was time for a Kindle.  I was reading Book 5 of the Harry Potter series.  The book is almost 900 pages long so it's big.  Trying to read this huge book in bed was a pain.  Plus now that we take several trips a year to our condo in Florida, Kindles are very easy to pack for travel and going to the beach. 

The other thing is that Kindle books are cheaper than hard cover editions.  Paperbacks are still cheaper too but you have to wait for them. 

Finally, the frosting on the cake as my daughter reminded me is that many libraries now allow you to borrow books for download to a kindle.  What could be better?  Free books and you don't have to go anywhere.

So all in all I think I'll enjoy my Kindle...but don't worry, I'm still going to be reading hard cover and paper back books.  


No comments: