Sunday, July 18, 2010
A Look Back
Let's take a little stroll back in time, shall we?
Here is a partial list of what we have seen:
1. President Obama is elected under the slogan "Hope and Change".
2. He repeatedly warms Americans that given the unbelievable mess he's handed, there will be no quick fixes.
3. He pushes for an economic stimulus package to shore up failing financial institutions and the auto companies.
4. He changes the direction of the 'war on terror' to where it should be.
5. He appoints two 'right' thinking Supreme Court Justices.
6. He pushes for health care reform and gets it passed.
There's more but that's the important stuff.
Here's what we see now:
1. The largest American presence in Afghanistan/Pakistan ever to fight Al Qaeda and the Taliban--the guys by the way who brought us 911.
2. Health care reform that now promises health insurance to millions of previously uninsured Americans.
3. The financial institutions are still functioning; the auto industry is recovering and the recession is in fact easing considerably.
4. A reasonable balance is being restored to the Supreme Court.
All in all, not too shabby. For sure, there's more to do. The housing market is still pitiful, unemployment remains stubbornly high and Obama has yet to address the key issue of illegal immigration. But we're getting there.
The icing on the cake is that BP, given the latitude to get the job done, has finally put an end to the worst environmental disaster in US history. I owe a lot of that to the way Obama handled it.
The big question is now what are the Republicans going to whine about?
They've already answered the question. It seems Obama and his family took a vacation! And you wonder why I get frustrated with their unbelievable hypocrisy???? What a pack of losers!!