Monday, October 26, 2009

The Logic of a Three Year Old Child

Do you remember sitting in a class somewhere, furiously taking notes, trying to keep up with what the teacher was saying? Well, those memories came back today as I was taking notes on my 3 year old grand daughter's assorted remarks. Here is a sample of random comments and questions:

Scenario 1:
Child: Grabs a banana, holds it to her ear and says, 'Grandpa, it's for you. It's your grand father.'
Me: Pretend to be talking to my grand father.
Child after conversation: Grampy, how long has your grand father been in the cemetery?

Scenario 2:
Child, while looking a photo album with older sister, wants to know why she isn't in some of them.
Me: Because you weren't born yet.
Child: But where was I?
Me (again): Wellllll, you weren't born yet.
Child: I KNOW! But where was I.
Me (lying, sort of): You were still in mommy's tummy. That seemed to satisfy her-for the moment anyway.

Scenario 3:
A mess in the play room.
Me: Before we go on to something else, you need to clean up that mess.
Child: You clean it up.
Me: Excuse me??? You made the mess. Now clean it up please. I'll help.
Child (thinking): I don't think so. It was your idea.
She was technically correct. I suggested she put together a puzzle.

Scenario 4:
Continuation of Scenario 3
Child: Besides my mommy and daddy are the boss of me, not you.
Me: And what about when your mommy and daddy aren't here?
Child: Then Aiden's my boss. Aiden could be any one of her several dolls. Which leads to the next scenario.

Scenario 5:
We're playing circle time. Courtney's the teacher and I'm the usual, Keila, a student. I'm seated next to 3 dolls. They're all named Aiden.
Me: When I call Aiden, how are they going to know which one I'm calling?
Child: It doesn't matter. I know who they are.

Scenario 6:
Child wearing a play head-set of ear phones: I can't hear any music.
Me: Try turning it up.
Child: It won't help, grandpa. It doesn't even hold a CD!

Finally, in response to me trying to read the very small letters on a CD player without my glasses. You have to be more patient, grandpa. Similar to her sister once telling me I have to be a better listener!

These are just a few of the many exchanges I have every Monday with this very bright 3 year old.

No comments: