Monday, November 3, 2008

Tuesdays With Shirley

Remember the book ‘Tuesdays With Morrie'? Well I have my own story-Tuesdays With Shirley. Shirley was an 87 year old lady who I worked with every Tuesday at Lockwood Lodge. During our year or so together Shirley was writing a series of autobiographical pieces. My job was to help her with basic computer/word processing skills. Very often, however, Shirley would stop and tell me she’s out of ideas so I’d start asking her questions and that would start things going again. As it happens Shirley’s life closely paralleled my mother’s. They both grew up in NYC; their parents were immigrants; they had lots of siblings; and they were poor. Shirley died last week but she left a significant body of work which I reformatted and printed for the family.
Shirley was great lady. She had a wonderful sense of humor, she was smart, liked people and for someone who had her life’s share of diversity, she never ever complained. In fact she considered herself to be very lucky. Shirley set a fine example for her children and grand children-and at least one volunteer. I'm sure she'll be missed by all her knew her.

No comments: