Friday, September 9, 2022

From my story book

As I mentioned on a previous post I will occasionally be posting some of the stories I'm writing.  The entire collection of 52 stories will be published in December.  I'm now on number 37.  Here's number 35.

Story 35: What are my favorite movies?

 

I haven’t been to a movie in over two years (as of Aug. 2022).  The primary reason for this is because of the COVID pandemic.  A secondary reason is that with two exceptions there simply hasn’t been anything I’ve really wanted to see.   The exceptions are “Elvis” and the “Downton Abbey” movie.  But I’m not too bummed out because they’ll undoubtedly appear on Amazon Prime or Netflix at some point in the not too distant future.

 

But I digress.  The question is what are my favorite movies? That’s a tough one.  I did a fast Google search and found the IMBd top 10 movies of all time and I was surprised to discover that I too found many of them to be my favorite movies.  Maybe I’m not so far out of the mainstream after all!

 

So here they are,  in no particular order, my favorite movies that I find myself watching over and over again.

 

The Shawshank Redemption

The Godfather (Part I)

Pulp Fiction

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (or just about anything with Clint Eastwood in it)

Fargo

The Sting

Bullet

The Battle of the Bulge

Kelly’s Heroes (more Eastwood)

Goodfellas

The Great Escape

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Deliverance

Men in Black

Jaws

Gone With the Wind

Killer Angels

 

So there you have it. You (whoever you are) are probably wondering if I’ve finally gone over the edge but I’m betting men my age would generally agree with this list.  Women, not so much.  For example about the only movie on the list my wife really likes is Gone With the Wind.  For young people the list is even shorter or nonexistent.  My grand children for example (as of this writing August 2022  ages 13, 14, 15 & 18) wouldn’t know what any of them are.  However, my two grand sons (ages 13 and 14) do like Men in Black and one of them likes The Bridge on the River Kwai.  I doubt if my grand daughters have even seen any of them except maybe Men in Black.

 

Anyway, that’s my list.  What are your favorite movies of all time? 

 

Next up for Week 36: my favorite TV shows of all time.

No comments: