Monday, October 25, 2021

A Word About the Internet

 Just about everyone I know (and don't know) uses the Internet for something.  Sometimes it's business or playing games or social media or whatever.  Something.  And when things are going well, all is good.  It can be a great thing. But when things go haywire, look out! You're in for a lot of frustration.

I mention this because it's happening to me right now.  For example I set up payment methods of several services to be automatically deducted from a credit card I use strictly for Internet business.  For quite a while everything was fine.  Payments were made and it was easy to keep track of them.  But then, someone in San Francisco hacked my credit card and made about $500 worth of charges to Lyft.  The credit card company caught it and notified me.  They then cancelled the card and issued a new one.  Now of course I have to go back to all the services and change the payment method.  A royal pain.  Plus, somehow my credit card company neglected to cancel the fraudulent charges.  So now I have to call them and straighten that out.  Another pain.

Another totally unrelated problem relates to my Amazon account.  For some reason it is requiring approval from my grand daughter's credit card before I can make purchases. Unbelievable.  Now I have to call them and try to figure it out.  Another pain I can easily do without.

By virtue of the fact you're reading this you're an Internet user.  First, thanks for reading.  Second, I hope you're being careful.  If something goes wrong, you're in for some interesting times.

Happy surfing!


No comments: