Friday, March 5, 2021

About those masks-part two

 Just recently Texas and Mississippi announced the removal of all restrictions previously in place during the pandemic.  Since then numerous other states have followed.

The most notable of the dispensed rules is the one requiring masks in spite of CDC and other health officials' recommendations.  The point is that just because we now have vaccines it is way too early to be letting down our guard.

My wife's niece who we are very fond of  lives in Texas and she recently shared an article on Facebook supporting the governor's decision.  I replied to the post that it was a mistake and the governor was very foolish to encourage irresponsible behavior.

Someone picked up on my comment and said he  didn't need government telling him what to do and because he got his vaccinations he has to reason to wear a mask.

Against my better judgement I  pointed out that he can still be a carrier and that a mask isn't to protect himself.  It's to protect others.  He responded that that was unproven and that there was no science behind it.  Others (all Texans) jumped on his bandwagon.

I went on to point out I can no longer have a reasonable conversation with someone who has chosen ignorance over knowledge and signed off.

And therein is the problem.  I don't like government telling me what to do any more than anyone else but when we have a country full of so many incredibly irresponsible and stupid people it's necessary to take extreme measures.  

I'm going to be watching the situation in those states that have opened up.  I'm willing to bet their positivity rates are going to increase a great deal. 

No comments: