Sunday, February 7, 2021

The snow is pretty but.....

I shouldn't complain because this is winter in Connecticut so you get what you get-snow, ice, cold.  Normally I can handle all of them.  Between the snow blower, calcium chloride and salt and my wood stove I usually have everything covered.  It's when things go wrong that things can get ugly-fast.

For example this last snow storm was big enough for me to hire a snow plow to do the bulk of our driveway.  The problem is it doesn't usually get it wide enough and it usually leaves clumps of snow in all the wrong places.  I then go out with the blower and clean up.  

It doesn't end with the driveway though.  There's shoveling in front of the garage doors, in front of the mailbox, the sidewalk, clean up around the bird feeder, shovel around the generator, shovel a path to the propane tank and finally shovel a path to the woodpile and cleanup around it.  A lot of shoveling. 

While trying to snow blow a path to the wood pile after our last storm I pick up a chunk of wood and broke two shear pins on the blower.  OK, so now I have to fix them (which I did) so now I'm ready for today's storm.  

These are all little aggravations I could happily do without but it's winter so it is what it is.  And on a positive note-the days are definitely getting longer so spring is on its way!

No comments: