Friday, March 3, 2017

Pet Peeve number...I've lost count

THE DEMISE OF PROOFREADING!

Proofreading was one of those writing skills we used to drum into our students' heads over and over again.  Reread what you've written.  Does it make sense?  Are there any spelling mistakes or misused words?  If so, FIX IT!  Eventually kids realized that if they didn't do it correctly, they were simply going to get it back to be redone. 

I wish I had a nickle for the number of emails,  text messages and Facebook messages I've received from a variety of people that are total nonsense.  Usually I try to puzzle it out or overlook it but sometimes I question the authors as to their meaning.  I generally get one or more of the following responses:

"You knew what I meant."
"I don't have time to go over everything with a fine-toothed comb.  Figure it out."
"It's not my fault. It's this darn phone. My autocorrect keeps doing it."
"Oops. Sorry, hit the wrong key. Hahaha."
"Well, excuse me, Mr. Perfect."

I'm no more perfect than the next person and I can understand an occasional error that falls through the cracks but the situation has become chronic.  When I've discovered a mistake I have to go back and fix it.  I can't let it stand.

I realize there's a whole new language that has sprung up on the internet.  Texting shorthand has become the norm. I think this is unfortunate.  I think there should be a law against incomplete sentences and misspelled and/or misused words (LOL. JK).  Well, maybe that's a little severe!  Let's just encourage proper usage and let it go at that. 

Buy the way, there's a mistake in this post somewhere.  Did you see it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"More NEARLY perfect" was taught to me a long time ago. That's all I have time for right now, George.