Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Living with wildlife

It seems like wildlife is closing in on our property.  We've had frequent visits from flocks of turkeys, many deer wander though the yard and the occasional fox parks himself  by my wood pile waiting for something tasty to appear. Birds, squirrels and chipmunks of course are plentiful.

Sunday night I was awakened by a pack of coyotes in the woods across the street from our house. They made a huge racket and the next morning I discovered one possible reason why: a bear had been in the neighborhood as evidenced by my trashed bird feeders.  The feeders were mounted on a sturdy metal pole which had been bent in half like a tooth pick. 

I propped it up and the next morning it was knocked over again which was a surprise to me because I had been told that bears rarely visit the same place two nights in a row.  I once again propped it up only to have a large hawk come down and perch on it looking for a meal.

I finally got it through my head that I should take the feeders down for a while at least until the bear hibernates.  Then I'll try again.

I don't have pictures of the bear-just evidence he was there-but I do have other pictures of various fauna and flora in our yard.

Check them out on my web site: georgeswebpage.com Click on the photo gallery link in the navigation bar.


No comments: