Wednesday, February 18, 2015

True Confessions

 As anyone knows who reads this blog on a regular or even semi regular basis, I do a lot of reading.  I like adventure books, historical fiction and even a little quasi sci fi like the stuff Dean Koontz writes. 

Until recently I frankly used to avoid female authors.  Very often the stuff they wrote just didn't seem to appeal to me.  But then as I reflected on this, I realized that wasn't true.  I've actually read tons of books by women. 

I would guess the first or at least one of the first would be To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee. Then from there the list just gets longer with the most recent discoveries being Maeve Binchy, Helen Simonson and  J.K. Rowling of Harry Potter fame.  I'll soon be starting book 4 of that series.

You may have noticed the three I just mentioned are all British.  I find  their character development and sense of humor very appealing. 

The other series of books I've enjoyed by a woman author is the Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell.  There's a lot of science as well as action in her books. 

Part of what inspired me to mention this about women authors is my older grand daughter loves to write.  I've read a lot of her stuff and she has a great imagination so I hope she pursues it as she gets older and I would never want to discourage her from writing more.  

There are good authors and there are bad authors.  Their particular gender is not the issue. 


No comments: