Tuesday, February 10, 2015

A Word About Some Books I've Read

I just finished reading a book entitled A Week in Winter.  I enjoyed it very much.  The book was filled with interesting characters and typical British humor. The author who is British is Maeve Binchy.  Unfortunately she recently passed away. 

I mention she's a British writer  because over the past several months I have read several books by English authors and I find I really enjoy them.

My first introduction to British literature was  when I was a boy reading Dickens.  Also as a boy I read Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame which I loved.

Then much later came college where I read many British poets which I didn't like so much.  I'm definitely a novel person.

It wasn't until recently that I returned to British authors.  First, The Clifton Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer. That's a series of what's going to be a total of 7 books.  I've read four.  The fifth is due out soon.

Then there was Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson.

All of these were great reads and when I'm done with a couple of other books I have waiting, I'm going to return to Maeve Binchy.

By the way, Maeve Binchy and Helen Simonson are women authors which is a blog in itself. 

There's always a good book out there.  Discovering new authors to read can be a fun adventure.

 



No comments: