Monday, July 14, 2014

Rethinking the E-reader

Some time ago I wrote a blog about how much more I prefer reading an actual book as opposed to using an e-reader like the Kindle or Barnes & Noble's Nook or an iPad.  I observed that there's something about the feel of a book and  turning the pages that is more appealing than an electronic device.

Lately, however, I've been rethinking my position on this.  I have read several books using my wife's Kindle and there's a lot to like about it.  I remember once I was able to read during a power failure.  The screen is backlit so night reading is possible without having to use a bedside table lamp.  The other advantage to that is you won't keep the person  in bed next to you awake. 

E-readers are also easier to manage in that they're lighter, easier to pack when traveling and definitely more convenient to use than a bulky book on something like a plane.

Finally, books tend to be cheaper on an e-reader than if you're buying them-even paperbacks.  Of course to avoid having to pay for a book you could always get it from the library but there are certain time constraints associated with that that I would rather not deal with.

So I haven't actually bought one yet but I'm seriously thinking about it.


No comments: