Wednesday, April 16, 2014

God and public schools

A few days ago a man came to give us an estimate on some driveway repairs. After we got the information we wanted, the conversation wandered off course and he learned I am a retired teacher from Sandy Hook School.

When he found that out, he had the usual sad, serious look on his face.  Then he said that at the risk of being politically incorrect he believed that terrible things and others like it happen because they (whoever 'they' are) took God out of the schools.  He then went on to elaborate and finally left.

I exercised a rare bit of constraint by not saying anything and just let him finish.  The fact though is that regardless of where God may-or may not-be at any given time,  has nothing what ever to do with the actions of deranged lunatics.

Regarding the God in Schools issue, rather than repeat something I read a while ago, I will post a link to a blog that states pretty much my position perfectly.  Here it is:

http://www.adamhamilton.org/blog/view/86/put-god-back-in-public-schools#.U06K0sfeN1Z

By the way, I should add that the author of the piece you're about to read (I hope) is senior pastor of The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas, where he preaches to more than 8,000 per week.

So he's clearly not some wild-eyed atheist. 

I'd be interested in reading your reaction to the piece I cited.  If you're having trouble logging into the comments section of this site, you can write to george.stockwell@gmail.com

No comments: