Sunday, January 27, 2013

Transitions

I've been a grand father for nearly a decade.  Last night we celebrated Brooke's 9th birthday.  I have three other grand children, ages 6, 5 and 3.

Over the years it has been very interesting to observe the transitions in each of their houses.  It reminds me of when Pete & Becky were also growing up.

For example yesterday Brooke excitedly asked me to see her's and Courtney's new desks.  They had just gotten them.

It wasn't so long ago that they had other kinds of toys in there which had in turn replaced yet another set of toys all the way back to when there were dolls, carriages, blocks and other toddler toys.

The same is true of my grand sons who are ages 5 and 3.  When I go there to stay the day with Nicholas, I sometimes find myself cleaning up their play room.  That too has undergone many transitions even though Nicholas is only 3.  He's determined to play with the same things as his five-year-old brother.

We find ourselves doing the same thing at our house.  We started out with the usual collection of rattles, blocks and harmless manipulative baby toys.

Now we've moved to those things that appeal to their current ages.  I'm sure it won't be too long when we'll be hauling them out to be replaced by something else.

And so it goes, the march of time.  I'm lucky I've been around long enough to see it.

No comments: