Sunday, December 16, 2012

Tough times

Sandy Hook School was my home away from home for over 30 years.  Even after I retired, I continued to substitute teach there so I knew many of the folks who worked there.  In fact I was part of the three-person committee who hired one of the victims, School Psychologist Mary Sherlach.

It is extraordinarily difficult for me to see the abundant news reports on this terrible situation.  I finally got it through my thick head that I should turn TV off and leave it off except to watch a totally unrelated program that I DVRed.

Driving here and there around Sandy Hook is also a painful experience because every once in a while I pass a house with a lone state trooper's vehicle sitting in the driveway and I know that's the home of a victim's family.

These are tough times for Newtown.  For a long time the town will  be defined by this horrible event. But for the rest of us life goes on so there's only one thing to do.  Move forward.  

Last night we saw Becky, Mike and the two girls.  It's exactly what the doctor ordered.  Tomorrow I'll spend the day with the youngest grand child and part of the afternoon with his brother.  More tonic for a sad time.



2 comments:

Eric (Koehler) Hutcheson said...

I was a 5th grade student of yours, going to date us... 88-89. Your name as a teacher is 1 of a very few that have been etched into my memory. What I do remember is that you were a great teacher in a great school. I moved from Sandy Hook in 89 to Wolcott where I was adopted. After high school I joined the military. I currently am in the Army and live just outside of Buffalo, NY. When I saw these tragic events unfold on TV at work, I couldn't believe they were happening, especially at the school I spent 3 grades in. The only thing I can think of now is a faint imagine of what I remember the inside of the school looking like and the horrendous act of evil. I have 5 children of my own from 2-11 and breaks my heart that this could happen anywhere. Thank you for your many years of service to the school. My prayers are with all that have been affected by this selfish act of terror.

Eric (Koehler) Hutcheson

George Stockwell said...

Believe it or not, I remember you, Eric. I've probably posted your class picture on Facebook in my class pictures gallery. Glad to hear all is well with you during these tough times.