Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Entertaining a three-year-old

During my teaching days I used to make a concerted effort to provide plenty of stimulating activities for kids to do when they were done with their regular work.  This is important because kids have such different learning styles so there is never one thing that fits all.

Consequently, I used to get a tad annoyed when a student or even a parent used to complain to me about the kid being bored.

I would point out the variety of choices each individual student had available to them and the advice that they had to meet me half way by mustering up the energy to haul themselves out of a chair to go to one of the learning centers.

That usually solved the problem and when I retired I thought I was pretty much finished hearing about kids being bored.

I should have known better. 

Now that Cole is in kindergarten all day, Nicholas and I spend the day together until we go to pick up Cole.

On my first day alone with Nicholas he greeted me at the door and asked, "what are we going to do today, grampy?  I hope it's not boring!"

Here we go again. 

No comments: