Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The End of the Road

I had lunch today with the soon-to-be ex editor of Newtown Patch. She's leaving Patch to take a position at a paper in southern New Jersey.

Among other things discussed, she mentioned that the whole Patch network is undergoing some changes and reorganization. Among those changes are inevitable budget cuts.

When I heard that I knew that my two years at Patch was coming to an end.

Writing a weekly column for Patch is the last thing I thought I'd be doing in my retirement. I had never even heard of Patch until I got a call from the editor just about 2 years ago saying she had run across some of my blogs, liked my writing and wanted me to write for her.

At first I started off with two columns a week but not long afterward that was cut back to one.

Now it's none.

I'm not sobbing in my soup over this. It's been a good run. I've made a few thousand dollars and I learned a little about journalism--and Newtown.

So now it's on to new things. What that will be is anyone's guess. I suppose I could go back to subbing but I don't see that happening in the near future given the time it takes. We'll see what comes along.

No comments: