Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Games grand children play

On previous occasions I've described at great length the games my 8-year-old and 5-year-old grand daughters love to play.

They've spent many hours with dolls, dance routines and playing school.

Cole (age 4) and Nicholas (age 2) also like to play games but not like the kind the girls play.

Instead, one of their favorite games is to take a large ball of Play Dough and using their mother's rolling pin spread it out into a large flat piece.

Then they assemble their collection of cars and trucks and pretend they get stuck in the Play Dough "mud hole". It's my job to get the toy excavator and pull them out of the mud.

They play at this for a very long time.

I readily acknowledge the role of cultural influences in the kinds of things that interest boys and girls but I am completely convinced that to a great extent they are hard-wired to like certain things.

Nature vs Nurture. They're both at work in the human species.

No comments: