Thursday, April 22, 2010

Take Cover! Incoming!

Ah, if only I had a nickle for every forwarded email I get from conservative and liberal friends alike (mostly conservative) that contain attachments of articles, news items, so-called fact sheets and the like supporting one position or another. I'd be one rich guy. But instead I just have an in box full of junk. The one I just received, for example, purports to 'educate' the recipient on the finer points of Obamacare. Without going into a lot of detail, let's just say that I took a few minutes to research the content of the attachment and found it to have been written by a conservative columnist who took partial truths, distorted and omitted facts to tell us how we're going to get screwed when health care reform finally takes hold. The truth of course turned out to be much different. And so it goes. It just keeps coming. The overwhelming majority of these messages are from conservative friends who are genuinely concerned with the way the country is going. Fine. Let them rant. But there's also a smaller but no less significant amount of this stuff that's racist and cruel. That's the stuff that troubles me. What's one to do? See that key in the upper right area of your keyboard. Let me spell it for you: d-e-l-e-t-e. Just press it-and move on to your next forwarded message. Maybe for once it will be a good joke!

No comments: