Sunday, October 18, 2009

The 'No News' News

There have been a flurry of Facebook posts about the 'balloon boy' fiasco. The authors of these posts have all been critical of the media for dwelling on this ridiculous story and by extension the viewing public for giving the media the audience they seek. My response to that is exactly what are we supposed to do? There is no escape from non-stories like this. They're on every TV station all the time. It doesn't matter what you choose to watch. There's simply no getting away from them. Plus the coverage extends beyond broadcast media. Print media is just as guilty and, as if that weren't enough, they're all over the Web. The only way to avoid this stuff and thereby not give the media the audience they crave is to crawl into a hole and eat worms! I'll pass on that, if you don't mind. I suppose I could stop buying the products advertised by those who constantly abuse us with this stuff, but then I'd have to start making all my own stuff. You see where this is going. Maybe a letter writing campaign is in order. We could do that. I'll start it all off with this blog which I'm sure you know is viewed by millions nation-wide. Now you do your part!

No comments: