Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My First Letter to the Editor


Herewith the text of my very first "Letter to the Editor":
To the Editor,
My admiration & congratulations to those teachers and administrators in the Newtown Schools who had the courage to show their students the president’s speech. To those of you in Newtown or anywhere else who didn’t, shame on you. You either chose to make a political statement by insulting the President of the United States or, at the very least, you caved in to the hysterical rants of the lunatic fringe-and make no mistake about it, ladies and gentlemen, that is exactly what they are. It may not be appropriate to silence them but surely we can ignore them.

Respectfully submitted,

George Stockwell

4 comments:

gael lynch said...

Sent a very similar sentiment to the administration for their show of backbone and good judgement myself. We showed the speech today, b/c our kids were in a special yesterday. You could've heard a pin drop! Tomorrow, our kids will be writing their 'mission statements,' which are kind of like goals, but a bit more involved. The speech certainly got them thinking...and was a great launch for our school year!

Tim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim said...

Nice job George! I second what Gael said. The students need to hear the speech from any president or anyone for that matter who encourages students to work hard and follow their own path.

George Stockwell said...

I'll be very honest with you both. As you may know, there are times when I tend to shoot off my mouth before I think things through and I was thinking this may be one of those times because upon reflection I realize there are a lot of very, very fine teachers out there who may have had compelling reasons for not exposing their students to the president's speech. I hope the letter doesn't offend anyone in that category.