Thursday, September 24, 2009

Lunacy Unleashed

I've been making a half-hearted attempt to follow what's been going on at the UN this week. I read a little about Obama's speech and I've seen a little about the various issues being discussed but the thing that really stands out is the unbelievable lunacy of Libya's Muammar Ghadafi (I looked it up. Amazing at how many ways there are to spell this) and Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (all sources I checked have this spelling). These guys are genuinely certifiable, and worse than that, dangerous. But what to do about them? That's the question. I think most people agree that Ghadafi is much less of a threat than the other. So it seems the world is content to just yell back at him. As for the other, his effort to gain nuclear power is pretty scary. Scary because if Israel receives credible evidence that Iran plans to use those nukes against it, they'll strike first. Then we have a(another) protracted war that is sure to involve the US. Never mind health care reform. This is the issue that's going to test the Obama administration. But not to worry. As past practice has shown, the Republicans will be right there offering all sorts of viable suggestions. And if you believe that, I've got some land in Florida I'd like to sell you.

No comments: