Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Scream If You Liked That Shot

I don't usually watch tennis but the other day while taking a lunch break I happened across a match on the tube. It was a women's tournament taking place somewhere or other and I was astonished at the racket (no pun intended) the women make when they hit the ball. It sounded like they were being shot or something. What's that all about? Does it help their game? I know some people make those obnoxious noises in gyms and I recall my son-in-law or daughter telling me that they're not allowed to do that in some gyms. Recently I heard that some of the tennis players were complaining that their opponents were distracting them by doing it. I can understand that. Some of those gals really let it go. I can understand a grunt or sudden expulsion of breath. I'll do that myself when I lift something heavy but that's not what they do. They scream their brains out. I can see how it would be very unnerving to an opponent. But then I observed BOTH players do it so now it's the spectator who is bombarded by a constant barrage of screams, yells & sounds of torture and mayhem. If you're watching on TV, fine. Hit the mute button. But if you're sitting there you'll have to do what I did at the last musical concert I went to. Stuff bits of napkin in your ears.

No comments: