Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Blog On!


My personal website http://georgeswebpage.comis going on 4 years old. I started it after taking a couple of web design courses. The original purpose is generally unchanged-provide an on going photo gallery of various things; provide a fun page where people can click on various links to fun pages; a humor page and, the last thing to be added, the Blog Spot. I was originally on the fence with the blog page because a lot of my friends and family either didn't know what they were or if they did, they didn't have any interest in them. Then a friend of mine decided to publish a blog of his own (KM3) and from there it began to grow. I now have links to 9 personal blogs, 3 columnists and 2 general blog sites making 14 links to blogs of one kind or another. Blogs are among the most visited sites on the internet. There are virtually tens of millions of them. I'm not sure how many visitors most of my blogs have because I don't have hit counters for a lot of them. Of those where I do have a hit counter, the trend has been that when the blogger first started posting pieces, the hits were very high but then over time they slacked off. Part of the problem is that of all the people who publish on my web site, I'm by far the most frequent contributor with a blog piece almost daily. Some people go weeks or months without sending me anything to post. I'm sure that if they posted more often, they would gather more followers. But that's OK. No pressure. Post when you want to. Blogs probably do more for the blogger than they do for the reader anyway. It's amazing how much better I feel when I've ranted and raved about some silly thing or current issue or when I write about things I do with my grand children. I've read articles where the authors contend that blogging is very therapeutic-kind of like keeping a diary except the whole world can read it if they want to. So I'll keep on blogging and I'll continue to post the blogs of anyone who wants to. If they're providing someone with their first-or only-chuckle for the day, then they're worth it! BLOG ON!

No comments: