Friday, August 22, 2008

URGENT REQUEST!!

This is an urgent request for someone out there to create a website called something like "Simple Answers to Your Questions". In all of my roaming around the internet, I have yet to find one that meets the above need.
Here's what prompted this request. A couple of days ago I got this huge catalog in the mail that has all kinds of equipment. Lord only knows how I got on that mailing list but the point is it had among other things a whole bunch of generators: gas, diesel, porpane, multifuel, etc. They ranged in price from about $500 to over $20,000. Fortunately, we haven't lost power for a particularly long time here within the past few years but I do recall a time when we were out for several days during the winter. Fortunately, I have a wood burning stove so we could stay home but not having running water was a major pain. So I thought maybe now was the time to get a generator. The problem is they all state how many kilowatts they produce but I wasn't sure how to translate that into practical terms so I commenced a research project. Hence the problem. There were indeed plenty of sites that attempted to explain the relationship between watts, amps and volts (and Coulombs and Joules and Ohms). But they were mostly written by well-meaning college professors who were trying to make PHD Electrical Engineers out of the likes of poor dumb me!! So I went to a long time friend of mine who has become my go-to guy in such matters. So thanks to good old email, I quickly had a simple, completely sensible explanation (volts X Amps = Watts, i.e. 110 volt toaster oven operating at 13 amps = 1430 watts) I quickly realized that the great deal on a 6500 watt propane Honda generator wouldn't even run my water pump! So now back to the urgent request. Why couldn't I have found that out with the click of a computer key. That's why someone out there needs to pick up the ball here. You can link off my website or create your own.
Come on, go for it. What else are you doing????

No comments: