Tuesday, March 29, 2016

It seems we have reached another sad milestone..

The other day when it was raining enough to prevent outdoor work I decided to get rid of some clutter I'd been tripping over for some time.  In this particular instance it was a stack of National Geographics that kept falling off the shelf where they were piled-seven years worth to be exact.  That makes over 80 issues.

I've been receiving National Geographics since I was about 10 years old.  My blessed Aunt Ann gave me a subscription to them one year and I never let it drop.  That's about 60 years worth of magazines.

I don't know what happened to them when I was little but when I started college and teaching, I saved them as a reference.  During my teaching days I'd bring them to school and the kids would look at them and use them to cut out pictures for projects.  Even my own kids used them from time to time.

That was then and this is now.  With the exception of some occasional interest by grand children there just isn't the same level of interest.  I've contacted schools and libraries and no one wants them.  I even reached out to a few nursing homes and assisted living facilities thinking the senior residents there would appreciate them.  I posted a message on Facebook asking for suggestions.  A few people shared the message with their friends but other than that I haven't been contacted by a single person.

So here I am with a bunch of magazines, taking up space and no apparent purpose.  Yet I can't bear to toss them.  I'm determined to find a good home for them. 

Any ideas?  If so, contact me at george.stockwell@gmail.com.
Thanks

No comments: