Saturday, March 9, 2024

A Night At the Hospital

 In the slightly over 81 years that I've been around I've been hospitalized overnight just three times.  The first time was when I was 13 and it was to get my tonsils out.  The second time was in 2008.  I was in the hospital 4 days following kidney surgery.  The third time was this past Thursday-1 day ago.  

I had gone to my kidney doctor Thursday afternoon to discuss lab work.  In the course of his exam he noted a swelling of my right leg.  He was very concerned that I may have a blood clot so he sent me to the hospital right from his office.  I got to the emergency room at about 4:30.  By the time I actually got in to see someone and get examined and various tests evaluated it was 10 P.M. at which time it was determined that I had cellulitis.  Cellulitis is a bacterial skin infection that if caught early enough can be treated by oral antibiotics.   In my case my entire right leg was infected so they decided to admit me and give me a strong dose of antibiotics.  

I was not thrilled at the idea of being hospitalized to say the least.  My last experience in the hospital was not a happy one.  The nurses were nice enough but I found a lot to be lacking.  For example there were many times when I laid there in need of getting my dressings changed because the old ones were sopping wet and getting all over the sheets.  Also, when I did ask the nurses for medications I should have gotten they would tell me they'd check on it and that would be the last I'd hear of it.  There were other things too but you get the idea.

I am happy to report that this time around most things went much more smoothly.  I had a great nurse and assistant nurse  who checked on me frequently and generally followed up on things.  The only issue I had was confusion over what medications I was taking.  I gave my list of daily medications to practically every person who examined me and yet when it came time for me to take them they couldn't quite get it straight.  I never got my daily meds on Thursday.  I did however get most of them Friday morning.  I say most of them because there was one in particular I didn't get at all. No one could explain why.  So that's an area they need to work on.  But all in all this time around went much better than my last experience.  

Nevertheless, with any luck at all, that will be the last time I need to spend the night or nights in a hospital.


No comments: