Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Do you like history?

I admit I like history more than most people.  I'm always looking  up information on what happened throughout history on particular dates.  Then I post many of them on Facebook.  I think it's interesting and important.

Take yesterday for example.  I posted on Facebook that April 19 marked the anniversary of the Battle of Lexington and Concord thereby beginning the American Revolution. The year was 1775.  A few people 'liked' the post but not many but that didn't bother me much.  Who's got time to pay attention to long-ago events (besides me, that is)? 

But what did bother me a little is the fact that there wasn't a single mention of it in papers or on TV news.  Don't you think the event should have at least been acknowledge to remind people about "the shot heard around the world" and "don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes" and finally that famous ride of Paul Revere, Samuel Prescott and William Dawes.  THE BRITISH ARE COMING! THE BRITISH ARE COMING!

I wasn't expecting an hour-long special mind you-just some mention of arguably the most important day in American history.   Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  I wonder if schools mentioned it.  I'll have to ask my grand kids but I'm not hopeful. 
 


No comments: