Friday, March 12, 2010

Who Needs Insurance?

I just heard on the morning news that there could be as many as one million people in Connecticut who don't have health insurance. Is that possible? How could that happen? What about that Husky program-or is that only for children? Connecticut is a relatively small state. According to the infoplease.com website there are about 3.5 million people. To me that is an amazing number and I can only imagine how it shapes up across the nation. Yeah, yeah, I know. Those numbers include illegals but, hey, there aren't THAT many illegal immigrants in the nation. I wonder if that helps explain why I had to wait 4 hours in the emergency room for a 20 minute IV procedure. People with no insurance tend to use hospital ER's for primary care. I guess you could say I was penalized for having insurance. The larger question here is what the hell are they doing about this mess in Washington besides bickering? It's pretty bad when the majority party can't even get this done. It's a pathetic situation and one of many reasons why so many people are utterly disgusted with the political process on the Federal level. But, hang in there. November is just 8 short months away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HUSKY is only for children and their qualifying parents - which is most of them. I wouldn't say you were penalized at the ER for having insurance. You were not treated any slower b/c you had insurance. You were triaged and determined to not be as in need as others. But the ERs do get clogged with people using it as their primary care dr. and that goes for people with and without insurance (take from me, seeing as I work there and all.....) Bottom line, is the gov't needs to address the issue and handle it. I agree with you there!

Becky