Monday, August 31, 2009

Yet Another Mile Stone

Did you see the picture above and think, " God! Stockwell's really gone over the edge now. He's posting pictures of his daughter who's in her 30s getting on a school bus"? Wrong. It's my grand daughter. It's her first day in kindergarten. I had the privilege of watching her get on the bus for the very first time. It's definitely a mile stone in the great Stockwell story. That's not to say I won't be there for the other 3 getting on the bus for their 1st day too. After all, it was actually my son who got on the bus first. Two years later, my daughter started her illustrious career in public education. The point is having grand children seems like you're going back in time. I actually have to stop myself from saying or doing things in front of my grand children's parents (my children & their spouses in case you're having trouble following this). Before I grant a request or correct a behavior I have to think, "Hey wait a minute, you're not supposed to be doing that. They're not your kids." Fortunately my children and their spouses are very patient with me and grandma. They're smart enough to know that parenting isn't something you just stop doing. It's there-as long as you live and no matter how old your kids are. They'll find that out for themselves all too soon!

1 comment:

gael lynch said...

What a sweet picture, George. I can only imagine what they'll have to do to me to keep my mouth shut! My grandkids will be asking, "Hey...how come grandma has a sock in her mouth?!" I can't wait! REading your posts give me a chance to live a little bit of it vicariously through you!

Sure wish I was that lucky teacher to have Becky...oh, oops, I mean Brooke...in my class this year!