Friday, March 13, 2020

Coronavirus AKA Covid19

So here we are.  The range of emotions in the general public goes from skepticism to panic.  Schools, sporting events, entertainment venues and anything else that would ordinarily attract large numbers of people have been cancelled.  The stock market has tanked and there's a general shortage of test kits.

So that's where we stand. 

Here's what I know:
1. There are more cases out there than we realize.
2. Most of the people who catch it will experience mild to moderate symptoms and eventually fully recover.
3. Take a common  sense course of action-wash hands, keep hands away from face, etc. etc. You've heard it all.
4. Elderly (like me!), children and those with a compromised immunity system are at most risk.
5. There is no vaccine for it-yet.  And there won't be one this year.

That's all I know.  But it sounds a lot like what I've been hearing about the flu which so far has impacted far more people.

The big question is how many people are going to get it. Estimates I've heard are that it could affect as many as 80% of the population.  That's a very big number.  I'm not sure what it's based on but even if it's close it's still a lot.

So I guess the lesson is don't panic.  Live your life.  Avoid crowds. Wash up. And see what happens.

No comments: