Thursday, October 24, 2019

Life is one, big cliché!

I remember reading somewhere  someone wrote life is just one, big cliché, i.e a very overused expression. 

Here are a few examples:
  • All that glitters isn't gold.
  • Don't get your knickers in a twist.
  • All for one, and one for all.
  • Kiss and make up.
  • He has his tail between his legs.
  • And they all lived happily ever after.
  • Cat got your tongue?
The one I hear more and more these days is "it is what it is"!  Talk about illogical!  Of course it is what it is.  How could it not be?  Obviously it's meant to mean what ever it is that has happened it's done.  Move on.

The most recent place I hear this is at the end of every episode of People's Court, a show I sometimes watch in late afternoon if I have nothing else to do.  On People's Court the parties are interviewed by the host after the case.   Every single time the losers can be heard lamenting it is what it is. 

I suppose it's only natural that we use clichés so much.  They get the point across and it saves us from having to think of something original to say.  And there are certainly worse things to worry about. I guess we'll just have to get used to them.  They'll never go away. It is what it is.

No comments: