Monday, October 23, 2017

Yet another gripe

As you may or may not already know, I often use this space to post pet peeves or general gripes.  Not much good ever comes from it but for some reason it makes me feel a little better.  I imagine it's probably something like going to therapist.  It always helps to vent.

Anyway, the issue today is "Made in China".  Recently I started using a number of science kits that I had bought some time ago for my grand children.  I recently had occasion to open a couple of them to use with my grand son.  I  was very disappointed to find items assembled incorrectly or just plain missing.  The general quality of the kits was dreadful. 

As I often do in situations like this, I sent a message to the company who made the kits.  I was surprised to receive a reply from the individual whose name is on the kits.  She said she stands by the quality of them and that I may have received a refurbished kit.  They weren't. They were brand new. 

These particular science kits are just a few of the many items I've purchased over the years that have the Made in China label that come up short.  It reminds me of the days when Made in Japan had a similar reputation. 

So what can be done?  Not much, unfortunately. It's impossible to find items like this-especially toys-that aren't made in China.  All one can do is exercise due diligence.  Look at what you're buying and if it's junk, simply don't buy it.

I would gladly pay a little more for quality.  I have to believe there are many others who feel the same way.  One can only hope new sources pop up. We'll see.

No comments: