Friday, September 11, 2015

Where were you?

Aside from ordinary life events such as weddings, births, deaths, etc. there are certain other things of a more global nature that happen during the course of a person's life. Those events are burned into your memory pretty much forever.

For example I can recall the details of my whereabouts when President Kennedy was assassinated, when the first space shuttle exploded and the tragedy at Sandy Hook School.

Today marks the fourth such event-the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.  I remember the day very well although it happened exactly 14 years ago.  School had been cancelled at Sandy Hook because a delivery truck had taken down power lines.  I had to go to the central office to help call parents to tell them there'd be no school.  It was when I was driving home that I first heard the news of the day's events.  When I got home I turned on TV and pretty much stayed there the rest of the day.

I would like to think we're safer today as a result of measures that have been put in place to safeguard us against another such attack.  And I do believe that we are much safer now than we were before.  Unfortunately, the dangers we face these days are from within.  Dangers like lunatics getting their hands on firearms have still gone unaddressed.  That's a problem.

Maybe the coming year will see some progress.

No comments: