Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Election Day

Election Day is over and I have to say it was a bit of a let down.

The Newtown Charter has this weird requirement that there be a certain number of republicans and democrats in various departments and positions.  Consequently it is entirely possible and even likely that many people while on the ballot do not have opponents.

Thus was the case in yesterdays election. 

Where local politics is concerned, I don't think the political party of the candidate is important.  Normally in state and national elections I vote pretty much all democrat but such is not the case in local elections.  I've voted for plenty of republicans and I can think of several democrats on various boards and in various positions who I'd like to see out.

The charter should be changed.  Anyone who gathers a certain number of signatures on a petition should earn a spot on the ballot-no matter how many that ends up being.

I wrote a Patch column about this  some time ago and I was surprised at the number of people whose comments support this idea.  But nothing was done because to make a change of that nature would rob organized political parties of their power.  Ah, politics!

No comments: