Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Vindication-but I doubt if it will change anything!

I just ran across a news item that reports on a study conducted by the National Resources Defense Council & Harvard University.  Among their findings was the suggestion that the sell-by dates on food are misleading and should be eliminated.  I knew it!!

Now I can prove to my wife, daughter and daughter-in-law that all that food they've collectively discarded for no good reason could have fed a third world country. 

The fact is that if you eat something that has passed the sell-by date it doesn't mean you're going to wake up in the middle of the night with diarrhea and projectile vomiting-or worse.  It just means the food you ate might have lost some of its flavor and taste a little stale. 

The whole issue isn't generally too much of a problem for just my wife and me because if she asks, I can lie and all's well.  But when the grand children are over with one of their mothers, I don't even get asked.  They just grab the container (usually some kind of juice), look at it and out it goes. Perfectly good juice.  Down the drain.  

Well, now, in my defense,  I have an authoritative study to refer to.  I'm sure that will help (NOT).

No comments: