Wednesday, September 11, 2013

What were you doing exactly 12 years ago.

Over the course of a lifetime there are certain things all people have burned into their memories. I of course exclude things like wedding days or birthdays.  I'm talking about huge events that affect many, many people.

I can recall in my lifetime several such events.  The first are assassinations like that of  John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy.  Another is the event that happened three years ago today and the third is the tragedy at Sandy Hook School on Dec. 14, 2012.  I hope there aren't any more like this.

On the morning of 9/11/2001 I arrived at Sandy Hook School at my usual time only to discover that a delivery truck had torn down power lines thereby cancelling school.  From there a small number of us went to the Board of Education central office to call parents & staff to tell them there would be no school. 

We finished doing that at about 8:40 A.M. at which time I  left for home when I heard on the radio the first reports of a plane running into the World Trade Center.

Like most people we at first thought it was just a terrible accident.  By the time I got home and turned on the news the second plane had hit the other tower.  Details then began to unfold as to what really happened.

I stayed in front of the TV the rest of the day.

What were you doing?

No comments: