Monday, February 1, 2010

What Did You Learn Today?

I don't know what you learned today but I learned a lot-as I always do when I spend the day with my two grand daughters. This morning the 3 year old made it clear that on several occasions I wasn't 'behaving' so she was going to 'tell on me'. The most notable mistake being that I insisted she take a nap. In order to avoid an unpleasant situation, I suggested she read stories to her stuffed animals. Fortunately, she bought that and as her sister and I listened, she told her various little friends stories until it was finally very quiet in her room. That was about 1 p.m. She was still sleeping when I left at 3:30.
I spend the afternoon with Brooke, age 6. We spend pretty much the whole time playing make-believe games. For example, one of the games is when she pretends she's a literacy teacher helping kids who 'don't learn very fast' (her words). She was teaching me (Keila) and her two other students, Adrianna and Adam, reading skills. This went on for a while with her actually reading stories to us from one of her books. Clearly, she isn't like us! The other game we played involved problem solving. She was a person who helped kids resolve conflict situations. She was either the principal or a guidance counselor. I'm not sure but the scenario was that I was a student who was having a problem on the bus with a little boy named Adam. It seems Adam wanted to be my friend but when I said no, he hit me. Her advice was to talk to Adam and 'be patient' with him. Furthermore, I should say I would be his friend but I shouldn't do anything that I knew to be wrong. She then went on to talk to Adam about his behavior. Six years old. When I was six, I was playing cowboys and Indians. But then I wasn't the brightest bulb in the closet if you know what I mean. We ended the day together with a word game. Mondays are great days. But so are Tuesdays and Thursdays because that's when I get to see their cousins!

No comments: