Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Problem Solving Using the Two-Year-Old Method

There's this place in Monroe called Playtime Village. It's basically a big open space with a bunch of toys and a slide and climbing equipment in one section and a gym full of mats in another. I like to take my two year old grand son there. He loves it too but as you might expect for a two year old, he gets a tad possessive of some of the toys. You can hear adults all over the place counseling their little ones that they have to share. The kids of course don't want to hear it. They have no interest in sharing. They want the toy they want and they want it immediately and it doesn't matter who's got it. I had to work through several somewhat awkward situations with Cole when on occasion someone else has his cherished car (see picture). He's already figured out what I'm going to say so he's devised a strategy for getting his way in spite of me. For example today a little girl had 'his' car. He looked at me and yelled 'MINE'. I of course said, 'no, you have to share. Wait until she's done'. He gave me that two-year-old look that freely translated means 'Screw you. I can handle this myself.' It seems the little girl had put a doll in the storage area behind the seat of the car. Cole took the doll, ran across the open space and dropped it on the floor. Then he ran back to the car and stood there just watching. Well, of course, the little girl got up to retrieve her doll and ZIP...off went Cole into the car and on his merry way. I looked around to see what her mother was going to do and not seeing anyone paying any attention I laughed. Cole had this smirk on his face like he's thinking, "Geez, Grandpa. Haven't you learned anything in almost 67 years?" The little girl got a car of her own so there wasn't really any harm done. In the meantime Cole, completely on his own, developed a strategy for solving a problem. I wonder how it's going to work the next time he tries it. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Tim said...

I have been to this place. I bet you were the only one watching the child they were with. Every time I have gone the kids are running amok with their nannies sitting on the sidelines drinking coffee and text messaging like crazy while their charges were brutalizing the rest of the poor defenseless kids. How many kids did you need to discipline?

It is fun though for us adults to actually play with our kids when we are there.

Love the picture George!