Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Renew NOW!

More than likely you get a few magazine subscriptions, right? Well I get quite a few. Some are ordinary subscriptions while others are journals put out by organizations I belong to. Over the past few years I've noticed an annoying trend. I'm constantly getting notices giving me dire warnings of lapsed subscriptions unless I renew IMMEDIATELY! Just yesterday I got one from National Geographic. Here's the thing: almost all of these are not due for renewal for at least 4 to 6 months from now. For example my Nat Geo subscription is up in December. I received it on August 4th. What gives? For me it adds a lot to my pile of junk mail because I get a bunch of stuff. Here's the list:

Newsweek
The Week
National Geographic
Consumer Reports
Car & Driver
Mac World

Here's what I get as a result of belonging to an organization:
AARP monthly magazine
National Audubon Society monthly magazine
National Wildlife Federation monthly magazine

Every single one of these sends me renewal notices several months in advance of the actual expiration date. I can understand getting one about a month before but with computer technology being what it is, why do I have to get them every single month for several months and toward the actual expiration date I get them weekly. I think it's that they're hurting for money so they're getting people on board as soon as possible so they can tell their advertisers that they have X number of subscribers. Oh well. More junk mail.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed! The rush for renewal is so irrelevant to the actual expiration date that it actual causes me to ignore them ... the opposite of their intent! Go figure!