Friday, July 31, 2009

Woof Woof

I've written about this before but it's worth mentioning again. It's amazing how particular situations give rise to new terms and expressions. For example while reading about the various back and forth arguments going on surrounding Obama's health plan, I ran across an expression I hadn't heard before-Blue Dogs. I went on to learn that a blue dog is a term used to describe conservative democrats who are concerned with the cost of Obama's plan. Now there's a concept I can relate to. I too am a democrat but I do have concerns about government spending. Being a frugal person (some would say cheap, but that's completely inappropriate) I've been getting more and more alarmed at the massive sums of money being spent. Having said that, many of my other views would be considered liberal, i.e. abortion, gay marriages, etc. So what I'm left with is a political philosophy that's fiscally conservative but socially liberal. Now that's quite a mouthful. But along comes 'Blue Dogs' to the rescue. One might legitimately ask what's the difference between a blue dog and a moderate or left-leaning republican. There are two major differences. The first is that being a democrat I haven't lost my sense of humor. Unlike most republicans, I don't go through life with a permanent scowl on my face. The second is I continue to regard people to be far more important than money. Aside from that I guess we blue dogs aren't all that different from our moderate republican friends. But what should we call moderate republicans? How about Red Dogs? Works for me. Woof!

No comments: