Saturday, March 7, 2009

Ode to a Pick Up


This is a picture of my truck. A 2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn 1500 with a 5.8 liter V8. Yes, it's lousy on gas but with my 5000 miles per year, I don't care. The reason I'm telling you this is because I've owned it for just about a year now. In fact I wrote a blog about it at that time. I was inspired to mention it again because first, as I said, its one year anniversary is coming up and second, the blog 'Now Is The Time' (georgeswebpage.com/blogspot) wrote a piece celebrating the value and worth of Chrysler products. I wrote a comment to that piece and now I find I need to say more. The truck pictured above is the 4th truck I've owned and the 3rd Dodge. My first truck was a 1977 Chevy short bed, step side, 2 wheel drive, 6 cylinder engine. It was as basic as you can get. The truck ran well but by 1985 the corrosion and rust had advanced to such a state that about all I had left was an engine and drive train on wheels. Plus there is nothing-I mean nothing-worse in snow than a 2 wheel drive pick up so in 1985 I bought my first Dodge 4 wheel drive. It was a 4 speed with the old Dodge slant six engine. That truck was an animal and it looked good. I kept that for 13 years at which time I bought a 1998 Dodge 4 wheel drive Laredo. I spoiled myself by getting for the first time A/C, automatic transmission, V8 engine and extended cab. Another great truck in spite of a bad rear axle and A/C condenser. Otherwise it was a fine vehicle until rust and corrosion got that one too. So in 2008 I bought the vehicle described at the start of this piece. Four door cab, satellite radio, remote start (which I don't use), step rails, and the other stuff already mentioned. Why drive a big, heavy, relatively expensive vehicle, you ask, instead of, say, a Toyota Prius? Here's why:
Firewood, garbage, furniture, yard mulch, dirt, sand, stones, outdoor play sets, over the years animals like chickens and goats, washers, dryers, refrigerators, hot tubs, garden tractors, snow throwers, tillers, mowers, chippers, lumber, windows, doors, more furniture, more garbage, more firewood, first children's then grand children's toys, bicycles, sporting equipment, etc. You name it. At one time or another I've hauled it. What amazes me is how home owners who live in the country get along without one (unless of course they're borrowing one!) I'll never be without a pickup. I should be a Teamster!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in love with your truck! I'll let you know when I need to haul something (like all the junk in my garage)! You cannot beat a Dodge truck. I claim first "dibbs" when you sell it!

George Stockwell said...

I'm afraid you'll have a long wait. However, it's definitely available (along with its driver) when you're ready to make that dump run.