Tuesday, March 10, 2009


Recently two Connecticut legislators introduced a bill that would effectively remove control of finances from the leaders of the Catholic Church. I'm still not sure who would be controlling them under this legislation-the state or the parishioners. This was prompted largely by an incident whereby a priest was found to be using church money to finance a rather lavish life style. The church's reaction to this proposed law was of course quite extreme. In fact some would say 'over the top' or 'hysterical'. Here's the thing. I am not a Catholic. I'm not even particularly religious. I don't go to church except for weddings and funerals but I do feel strongly about this because I value greatly the Constitution of the United States. I don't want anyone, especially government, telling me how to worship-or not. This is a case of government interference in reverse. Why would state legislators even entertain such a notion? Well, apparently at least two of them think this will deter future incidents of theft of church funds. Of course, it won't. Besides there is already legislation in place to address issues like this. Why on earth create a state level constitutional crises, upset a lot of church leaders and their parishioners and generally create yet more government intrusion? It's bad enough we just got rid of a president who stomped all over the constitution. We don't need state law makers following suit.

No comments: