Thursday, February 26, 2009

True Confessions


I have a confession to make. I'm getting worried. My frugal, yankee upbringing has conditioned me to be very careful about money. Early on I chose a career that, among other things, afforded relative security as opposed to affluence. My wife and I are not big spenders (except for grand children of course). We have one home, two vehicles, burn wood to save money, go easy on vacations and in general live a quiet life. The reason I bring this up is because in spite of my general support for Barack Obama's presidency I am getting just a tad nervous. His budget for 2010 is a mind boggling 3.5 TRILLION dollars. In my Feb. 23rd blog I allude to how difficult it is to comprehend this kind of money but I do know one thing for sure. It's a lot. As my 2 yr old grand daughter says when asking for a treat: a whole bunch! And it's going to be mostly borrowed money. That's the part that makes me nervous. Where's it coming from and who's paying it back (as if I didn't know). Well, already the Republicans are vowing massive resistance so maybe our system of checks and balances will restore some sanity to this situation. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

gael lynch said...

Resistance from the Republican Robotic Empire? You mean the ones that brought us Sarah Palin? Please let it not come to that?! I think I'll trust for a while. After more was revealed yesterday...about rebuilding from the ground (the little people's pockets) up, I gained a little more confidence. I think we have to suspend our disbelief for a little while longer. Those Repubs. are the very ones that brought us the current war we're trying to wiggle out of...and the massive debt that was rarely seen on the books, don't forget that. At least now, it's all on paper. HAVE FAITH...forget the Repubs. They're positioning themselves for the next election.

George Stockwell said...

Believe me. The LAST thing I would do is jump on that band wagon but still there is all that money....