Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Kindle (NOT) Revisited


Lately, I've found myself revisiting past blogs. That's usually because issues resurface or something has changed to warrant comment. Well the other morning on the Today Show Matt Lauer was interviewing Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon.com. If you don't know who Jeff Bezos is or what Amazon.com is, forget it. You're beyond help! Bezos was there extolling the virtues of his gadget, the Kindle which has been out just about a year now. That's when I first wrote about it. The Kindle is about the size of your average novel which is appropriate because that's what it seeks to replace. Once you've purchased a Kindle, you're then able to download books, just about any book, and read it as each page is displayed on a relatively small screen. Now I love to read and I always have a book going but for me there's nothing like an actual book. I just can't picture myself laying down on the couch some afternoon with a Kindle in my hands. There's no substitute for a book. I love getting new books. I find the weight, texture and even smell of them appealing. Turning pages and sometimes looking ahead isn't possible with a Kindle. And what about picture books (see blog "Small Circles")? There's nothing better than having a small child sit on your lap, looking at....the Kindle?. Sorry, doesn't work. Give me a real book any day. To me this is just the latest in an effort to 'digitalize' everything we do. There's got to be a gadget for everything these days. Many people I know can't believe that just because I have a website and I blog a lot, I still actually use a paper calendar for reminding me of stuff. Some things shouldn't change. Reading books-real books-is one of them.

No comments: