Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Lost Cause

I recently had the misfortune  of traveling on the local
interstate at about 5:30 P.M. Rush hour.
It was a sea of cars and trucks. This nation’s love
affair
with motor vehicles is hopeless. The price of gas and
diesel
is going up and up yet we continue to drive, drive, drive.
And not just drive-but drive gas guzzlers. This whole
energy
shortage/gas price thing is barely making a dent.
OK, granted, this is a big country and people have to
get around.
I get that.
It’s what we’re driving that I don’t get. Believe me.
I’m as guilty as the
\ rest. I just bought a 2008 Dodge 1500 pickup with
a 375 horse
power Hemi V8! I only put on about 5200 miles a year
at best
but still this thing gets about 14 miles per gallon.
Yet, I love it. It’s big, powerful and good looking
and I’ll
be able to continue to do all the stuff around my yard
that I
always do-fire wood, mulch, dump runs for 2 families and a
business, lend it to relatives who need a piece of furniture
moved, etc. So I'm no different than anyone else.
Let's face it.
We love our cars (and trucks). That's why we have to stay in
Iraq. So that we can eventually take over the country and
confiscate it's oil fields. (Relax I'm only kidding-sort of).

No comments: